Activating Windows Server
To ensure that your organization is correctly licensed and to receive notices for product updates, you must activate every copy of Windows Server 2012 that you installed which i clear in this post. In Windows Server 2012 there is no longer an activation grace period. A server that is not activated will be in a “notification” state which can result in hourly shut downs until it is activated.
Your server is activated using a Product Key. Depending on your licensing agreement and your infrastructure this can be done in a variety of ways, using tools such a Key Management Services (KMS), Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT), Active Directory Based Activation, and Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA).
You can check the current state of your server by running the following command:
If you have installed an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 R2, you will encounter hourly shutdowns until you run a rearm command:
View the full range of switch options you can use with slmgr by running the command:
A full discussion of licensing and activation is beyond the scope of this course. Also, licensing specifics will vary per region and with specific agreements you or your business have with Microsoft.
Note: If you have been working on the lab machines, close and restart the lab. These tasks should be performed as the Adatum\Administrator with the password Pa$$w0rd.
Installing Windows Server
- You have purchased a new server (LON-SVR3).
- You want to install the Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Evaluation version of the software.
- The installation media is available on DVD.
- You are installing the English language version of the software with a US keyboard.
- You would like to use the GUI version of the operating system.
- The operating system should be installed on Drive 0.
- The administrator password is Pa$$w0rd.
Post Installation Configuration
- Once the operating system is installed you decide to use Server Manager to finish the configuration.
- The computer name is LON-SVR3.
- The computer has a static IP address of 172.16.0.50, a Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0 and uses the default gateway 172.16.0.1. Use 172.16.0.10 as your preferred DNS server.
- Join the computer to the Adatum domain.
- Use Test-NetConnection to ensure you have connectivity with LON-DC1.
If you wish you can use your lab environment to:
- Install a Server Core version of the operating system, i.e. reset your lab environment and select a Server Core installation on the LON-SVR3 virtual machine.
- Use sconfig.cmd to configure the machine.