Windows Server Roles
Windows Server 2012 roles describe a server’s primary function. For example, a server role might be deploying files, accessing web content, or centrally printing a file. You can select to install one or more roles on a Windows Server 2012 environment.
The Add Roles and Features Wizard and the Remove Roles and Features Wizard in Server Manager modifies the roles that are installed.
In this Try It you will explore the different Window Server roles that can be installed.
- Login to LON-DC1 as Adatum\Administrator with password Pa$$w0rd.
- Open Server Manager.
- Click the Manage menu, notice the Add Roles and Features and Remove Roles and Features menu selections.
- Select Add Roles and Features.
- Click Next until you are on the Server Selection page.
- Notice you administer different computers, select LON-DC1.
- On the Server Roles page notice when you select a Role, a general Description is shown on the right.
- Use the Descriptions to answer the Check Your Knowledge questions.
- Click Show Answer for additional information.
Which server role enables you to centrally configure, manage, and provide temporary IP addresses and related information for client computers?
Answer: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server
The DHCP server enables you to centrally configure, manage, and provide temporary IP addresses and related information for client computers. IP addresses are used to uniquely identify the client computers on your network.
Which server role provides the services that you can use to create and manage virtual machines and their resources?
Answer: Hyper-V Server
The Hyper-V Server provides services to create and manage virtual machines and their resources. Each virtual machine is a virtualized computer system that operates in an isolated execution environment. This allows you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously.
Which server role provides a reliable, manageable, and scalable Web application infrastructure?
Answer: Web Server (IIS)
The Web Server provides a reliable, manageable, and scalable Web application infrastructure. IIS supports hosting of Web content in production environments.
When you deploy a role, Windows Server 2012 automatically configures aspects of the server’s configuration, such as firewall settings, to support the role. Windows Server 2012 also automatically and simultaneously deploys role dependencies. For example, when you install the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) role, the Web Server (IIS) role components that are required to support the WSUS role are automatically installed.
Originally posted 2016-10-21 01:23:33.